Saturday 5 December 2020

White fronted geese

 Now that "grass roots" football can start, this morning I was helping out in the cafe. It was a bright sunny morning, but when people came to the "hatch" for a warm drink, they all said how cold they were.

I decided to go down the Lower Derwent Valley, to North Duffied Carrs. Plenty of fieldfares in the trees and bushes as I walked to the hide.



From the hide I could see lots of swans, geese, ducks and waders. They were however a long way from the hide.



Mute, black and whooper swans. Greylag and white fronted geese. Mallard, teal, wigeon, pintail, shoveler and shelducks.


The waders on the grass included lapwing, golden plover, ruff, redshank and dunlin,


There was a rainbow in the distance and then our weather changed. Heavy rain showers and hailstones.

The light did not improve after the rain stopped. Two peregrines started hunting and these were the affects.




The white fronted geese were the first that I had seen this year and take me a step closer to my target of 200 birds for the year.


No comments:

Post a Comment