Sunday 13 December 2020

Birding around Filey

 The weather forecast for today was rain spreading from the west, so I headed east.

It was just after 9am when I arrived at the Country Park. 




It was very windy as I walked  along the top. A few fulmars were flying round near the cliffs and a few birds were on the cliffs,


I was surprised to see lots of guillemots flying around and then noticed that there were lots on the cliffs.


Lots of gulls, oystercatchers, redshanks and turnstones were feeding on the grass.



 

I then went to Filey Dams as it was starting to rain. The water level is quite high so not many areas for waders. A snipe was hiding just about in view behind some vegetation.


wigeon, teal mallards, greylag and canada geese, herring and black headed gulls. Nothing special to see as the birds were sheltering from the wind and rain. A report came through about a velvet scoter near the Brig so I return to the country park.

The rain had increased and the wind was very strong. so I sat in my car and ate lunch. When the rain stopped I walked along the cliff tops, but not for long as the wind was very strong. I could not stand and hold my binoculars so I returned to the car. I went back to the dams where I added tree sparrow and goldfinch to my list.

 








I decided to back home via the sea front as it was high tide and some birds may be closer to the shore.





I could only see 2 herring gulls so I drove home.



No comments:

Post a Comment