Thursday 3 December 2020

Tier 2 birding

 Now that lockdown 2 is over I can get out a bit more.

The late afternoon sunshine yesterday was welcome as I walked the dog on the moor.




This afternoon I went to North Duffield Carrs, as it is in North Yorkshire and Tier 2.

The weather was poor to say the least. It was raining and very cloudy.

Fieldfares in the trees as I walked down the path.



Lots of birds on the reserve, but they were not very close to the hide. This made photography very challenging due to  the distance and the poor light conditions.

Lots of wigeon, teal, a few mallards, 50+ whooper swans, a few mute swans, a single black swan, 27 pintail, a single dunlin, a few ruff and redshank, lots of starlings golden plovers and lapwings.


 

The birds took to the air and at first I could not see the reason why.


then I saw this marsh harrier.


I discovered that there were 2 marsh harriers, one of which had red wing tags. This bird had found some food just beyond the swans.





No comments:

Post a Comment