Friday 4 December 2020

Slavonian grebe

 I normally look after my sons dog on a Friday but not today. The weather forecast was not brilliant but I did not want to waste the chance to add to my year list. A slavonian grebe had been reported at Nosterfield yesterday so I decided to take a chance and go there early this morning in the hope of seeing it. It was raining when I left home and continued to rain for most of my journey, Luckily it was not raining when I arrived at Lingham Lake.

The light was not brilliant and it was difficult to see some of  the birds on the water. The mute swans and shelduck were easy to see but two smaller birds were more difficult to identify. The light slowly improved and I was able to see that the small birds were little grebes. Scanning across the water I saw a black swan and some curlews flying about. Then I saw the slavonian grebe. It was close to my side of the lake so I was able to get a good view of it, the the rain started so I went back to my car. I drove to the other part of the reserve and scanned the water. Lots of wigeon, curlews, lapwings, greylags and mallards. The rain was getting heavier so I did not linger. I drove to Staveley.

It was still raining when I arrived at the reserve car park, which for a change was empty. I went into the first hide but the rain was coming in through the open windows so I did not stay. At the second hide I looked through the screen and saw several birds on the feeders. I heard a pheasant calling but could not see where it was until I looked up.


I then went to the third hide and went in. From the windows I could see tree sparrows, blue and great tits,


Then I noticed that a great spotted woodpecker had arrived.






I then went back to the second hide. From there I could see goldeneyes, mute swans, lapwings, a coot and a moorhen.

Reed buntings, greenfinches, coal , blue and great tits were coming to the feeders, while chaffinches were on the ground picking up the bits. The long tailed tits were difficult to photograph as they kept flying off which caused the feeder to swing about.





I saw a pair of bullfinches on my way out which brought a wet but pleasant morning to an end.


No comments:

Post a Comment