Thursday 31 December 2020

Fairburn Ings

Shopping occupied my morning so it was after lunch when I set out for a spot of birding.
No time for a long journey, and as I had failed to find snow buntings at Filey on several trips and also missed the ring ouzel at Bempton twice, I decided to call it at day with the list for this year, 194 was not bad considering.
As I am now in the same tier as Fairburn Ings I decided to go there, also it would give me a chance to see if it would be a suitable place for tomorrow to start off my list for 2021.
It was a nice sunny day and as I drove along, I could see that lots of people were out and about. I managed to get the last parking space at Lindike..





As you can see quite a wintry scene and not many birds about.
Gulls, ducks and geese were gathered around some open water in the centre of the lagoon.


a mute swan had decided that the ditch was a good place to feed

Further along the road I could see gulls near a piece of open water


these mute swans had landed on the ice thinking it was open water


lots of pied wagtails on the ice, feeding on insects

The visitor centre car park was full so I drove back home. A pleasant couple of hours to end this dreadful year.
A Happy and Save 2021 to you all, may we soon forget tiers and social. distancing
My thanks to all the NHS staff who have done a brilliant job..

No comments:

Post a Comment