Saturday 26 December 2020

Boxing Day Birding

 The weather was not brilliant and the forecast was worse, as Storm Bella approaches.

I decided to go to North Duffield Carrs for a couple of hours.

There is more water on the reserve than my last visit.


When most of the reserve is covered in water the birds are spread over a wide area and there are not many birds close to the hides. Some birds will stand/roost on the bund and today there were a few to be seen,

A pair of mute swans were resting on the bund, along with shelducks and a lapwing






as you can see this swan a red ring on one of its legs, but I found it difficult to read. The swans came a bit closer to the hide as they were feeding.


when it upended I could read the ring.


555 was the number.

starlings were flying in and out of the reeds looking for food.




a wren flew on to a post




it flew off when a blackbird appeared


a carrion crow landed where the starlings had been feeding


The canada geese that had been out in the middle of the water started to fly towards the bund.




I then noticed what had disturbed them



one of the buzzards landed on a fence at the edge of the reserve


Then I noticed ducks flying and a marsh harrier flew past the hide.


The birds flew further away so I came home.


No comments:

Post a Comment