Thursday 13 June 2024

Summer's almost gone, winter's rolling on!

 


This was the view from Lin Dike hide early this morning.

A few birds were awake.


Lots of lapwings searching for food in the mud. At this time of year, whenever I see flocks of lapwings, I am reminded of a saying that a past leader of RSPB York Local Group had to say whenever she saw lapwings now.
"Summers almost gone, winters rolling on!"
Not that I think it feels as if we have had much summer so far this year.
Lots of gadwall on the right hand side of the lagoon until a male shelduck came along and moved them all away, as his 10 young swam around feeding.
3 little egrets landed in front of the hide, only for 2 of them to start arguing and they flew off.


Several black headed gulls were also looking for food


In the distance I could see a cattle egret standing on the back of one of the highland cows.
2 common terns flew over, as did several cormorants as they went off to fish for breakfast.
Behind me I could hear several birds singing, but I found it difficult to locate them in the vegetation. However this blackcap suddenly appeared, and equally quickly flew off.

 A cuckoo was very vocal, but again I could not find it. As I walked back to the car park, a cetti's warbler kept singing and then flying in front of me, but did not settle long enough for a picture.
A busy few days coming up, as it is Blacktoft open day on Sunday.











No comments:

Post a Comment