Friday 21 June 2024

Longest Day at Blacktoft

 

After completing the H&S checks at Fairburn and St. Aidans I went to Blacktoft to man reception.

As I drove in, my friend Chris (chrisdownesbirds) was just leaving. We chatted for a few minutes, then he left and I went to reception, where Joe was on duty. Miriam was busy working on the main notice board for the reserve.

Adrian and Steve arrived and we chatted for a while as we had not seen each other for ages.

John Gardner came into reception to report that he had seen and photographed a wood sandpiper  on Marshland. I sent a message to Pete, who came down and we went looking for the bird. The hide was busy and some people had seen the bird, but at that moment it was out of view.

I left and returned to reception. Pete arrived shortly afterwards and told me that he had seen the bird, so I went for a look and saw the bird, year tick 172.


There was a steady trickle of visitors to the reserve, who were all pleased to see the wood sandpiper and 2 green sandpipers.

A hobby shot passed reception hide, year tick number 173.

Joe came and we closed reception and I went to Marshland.. The birds were between the sun and I, so taking photos was a bit tricky.





The waders were still present and a little egret was having a bad feather day.

From 1st hide, this marsh harrier appeared to be watching a ship go past.



3 young ladies from the Manchester area called in at the reserve on their way home from Bempton.

They went to Marshland and were able to see a young barn owl in the box, and then an adult barn owl flew off hunting.

Little egret, grey heron, lapwing and sandpipers were all close to the hide so they were able to have excellent views of the birds.

It was still light when I locked up at 8pm.







No comments:

Post a Comment