Thursday 8 April 2021

North Cave Wetlands

 I arrived at 9am at North Cave Wetlands and was surprised by the number of vehicles there. The Wild Bird Cafe was open, so that probably accounted for some of the cars. I started at the top end of the reserve hoping to find a green winged teal. My friend Chris found one yesterday and Egyptian geese.

Not a lot of birds on Cell A. Shelduck, lapwings, a few teal. Lots of black headed gulls and shovelers.

I then walked along the path at the western edge of the reserve. Lots of activity in the quarry next door.  

Chiffchaffs and cetti's warblers were singing, but I could not locate them. A wren was singing from a tree.


I sat in the open backed hide and watched a group of 7 male shelducks fussing round a single female. There were lots of gadwall present and a few mallard.

I then walked back to the car and drove towards the reserve entrance where I parked. As I was walking into the reserve I met Roy Crossley, who had been listening to chiffchaffs.

The East hide is supposed to be closed, but the door has been forced open and pieces of litter are on the floor as well as some of the posters that had been torn from the walls. From the hide I could see a lesser black backed gull.


 A little further down the path I came across another wren singing


a blue tit was inspecting a nest box.


From the turret hide I could see lots of black headed gulls, but I could not find a med gull.


The gulls tend to dominate certain parts of the reserve, which sometimes results in little or no space for waders or terns.

At the feeders there were lots of tree sparrows, goldfinches, chaffinches and 3 rooks.


I then walked back to the car and met Mike Painter. The car park was now full so I decided to leave and go to Bank Island.

Lots of teal at the far end of the water were too far away to see if there were any garganey with them.

Nearer the viewing platform I could see 2 roe deer.


I left 15 minutes before a male hen harrier was seen, the joys of birding!

No comments:

Post a Comment