Tuesday 20 April 2021

Afternoon at Nosterfield.

 An afternoon at Nosterfield, to see if I could see the garganey that has been reported on a regular basis. 

In the car park I stopped for a chat with Sue from Harrogate. She had seen the garganey but it was asleep.

I walked along the path towards the North viewing screen and heard and saw a chiffchaff.


There was lots of activity on the North Lake. A pair of redshanks were chasing about. 2 male shovelers were displaying well to each other.


When a female appeared one of the male came close to her and started to feed along side her.


Lapwings came close to the screen.



A single whooper swan is still on the reserve. As I was looking through my scope for the garganey I found a pair of yellow wagtails, my first of the year. Eventually I spotted a male garganey, much further right than I had been told to look. A poor picture due to the distance.



I then returned to the car park and looked from the viewing screen over the main lake.

Rabbits were enjoying the sunshine.


On the far side of the lake I saw ringed plovers and a pair of ruff. The male was in his black summer plumage, but too far away for a photo.

A pair of little grebes came close.

For the past few days I have been able to hear a great spotted woodpecker from my garden. This is a shot from this mornings viewing.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment