Friday 2 April 2021

Early evening at NDC

 

I arrived at the hide at 1630, and despite the sunshine it was cold and the wind was blowing straight into the hide through the open window.

 On the scrape were a pair of teal, mallard and a little grebe. As I scanned the waters edge I could not see a little ringed plover, however it suddenly appeared, I guess it must have been feeding in one the hollows in the area.

In the distance I could see several mute swans. Mute swans flew onto the reserve from downstream and each time that they landed a male swan chased them away. Three whooper swans flew in and received the same treatment, so quickly left.

Shelducks were squabbling  with each other, and continued to do so as they off.

I only saw one pair of pintail, so I presume that the others have gone north, A few male shovelers were flying around, but I could not see any females. Wigeon were grazing at the shallow edge of the water, while coots and tufted ducks were diving in the deeper water.

Greylags were grazing on the grass at the far end of the reserve and the number of great black backed gulls gradually increased. Lapwings were doing their acrobatic displays, while curlews flew around, filling the air with their lovely sound.

The little ringed plover was the only summer migrant I could find, which did not surprise me, given the weather conditions, as insects would be hard to find.

On the way home I came across this group of fallow deer.





No comments:

Post a Comment