Sunday 18 April 2021

Bempton Cliffs

 0830 at Bempton Cliffs.


The sun was shining, no wind, ideal conditions. 



As I walked along the path towards the cliffs, I passed several people with cameras who were all looking east. After I had passed them I stopped and looked in the same direction. 2 short eared owls were out hunting. Not very good photos as the birds were between me and the sun,


From the first viewpoint I could see lots of birds on the sea. There was still a bit of mist about.


There was a single puffin on the cliffs to my right.


I moved on to the other viewing points before retracing my steps and walking down to Staple Newk.

The gannet colony seems to grow each year and the gannets get closer to the viewpoint. I watched the gannets as the settled on their ledges.



There was a constant stream of gannets flying about and landing on ledges.


This gannet tried to land on the wrong ledge and was attacked by the two gannets already on the ledge.

One gannet landed and 



after they had been through their greeting ritual they then started to mate, would they fall  off the ledge!



On the way back to the car park I saw this skylark perched on top of a post and it was singing.


I saw a small bird land on a fence and I saw a flash of red, could it be something special.

It was a robin, nice to see.

At the feeding station a pair of jackdaws were hogging the peanuts.


I then drove to Filey.

There was a lot of traffic so I decided to go to the Dams and avoid the crowds at the coast.





Mute swans, greylag and canada geese, mallards, teal, gadwall and little grebes were present. A black tailed godwit was feeding just past the gulls.


 On the way to the last hide a could see blue tits feeding in the trees.


A pleasant day with another six birds on my year list.


No comments:

Post a Comment