Thursday 15 April 2021

Here and there.

 During the three lockdowns I have done some sorting out of things and had some RSPB equipment that I used on visits to school. I have not done school visits now for ages and am not going to do so in the future, so I organised to return them to staff at Fairburn Ings.

As I left the house I heard a woodpecker drumming on one of the mature trees on the edge of Hob Moor. A quick dash inside for my binoculars and I was soon watching a great spotted woodpecker, a good start to the day. At Fairburn Ings I heard and saw a blackcap from the car park. Once I had handed the equipment over I drove over to St, Aidans.


 Still lots of people visiting the site. I had hoped that the opening of shops might distract people.

On my walk round I saw black necked grebe


I heard but could not see a willow warbler. I heard bitterns booming from 2 different locations.




I then decided to head for Staveley, but once again the car park was full, so I went to Nosterfield.

I had a look at the birds on the main lake from the viewing screen. A similar mix of birds as per my last visit. Garganey had been reported from the North Lake so I walked to the viewing screen. On the way it was nice to see a lot of yellowhammers, I have not seen such a large number for ages. Sadly I could not get close to them for a photo. As I walked along the footpath the birds would leave the field and fly into the hedge. The males looked brilliant in the afternoon sunshine as they perched amongst the blackthorn blossom, however they soon flew away.


This was the best picture that I could manage. Further along the path I saw an oystercatcher feeding in the same field. I have seen oystercatchers nesting in similar fields before, they are not exactly camouflaged!


When I reached the viewing screen, I could see that there were two people in it. Gary and Wendy Flakes, who don't live far away from me. It was nice to see them, I think that we last met on a twitch to see a red footed falcon.

They had not seen the garganey and after a while they returned to the main lake viewing screen.


 A whooper swan was still present. Is it injured or just waiting for a favourable wind.

Lots of wigeon, teal, tufted ducks and gadwall were also in the area. It was a pleasant evening despite not seeing the garganey,

No comments:

Post a Comment