Monday 1 April 2024

NCW then NDC

 


Mid afternoon when I arrived at North Cave Wetlands and was surprised to find so many people there, I thought that the wet weather may have put them off. I drove down to the South hide to park, as the car park was so full.

This is the view from the hide. Black headed gulls were perched just in front of the hide and other gulls had taken over the tern raft. Their noise filled the air.

On the way to the next hide I came across this brambling feeding on some seed a lady had put on a gate.



 Crosslands hide was my next stop, where black headed gulls were again the majority of the birds. Looking towards the new workings, I could see a little ringed plover on a spit of land, tick number 141 for the year. I did not stay in the hide long as it looked as if someone was sleeping in there.

I walked down to the new workings, stopping on the way to watch a pair of little owls in a tree. The new hide is still not open. From the gate I could see more black headed gulls, tufted ducks, oystercatchers and great crested grebe.

I walked along the north path hoping to see siskins, but the trees and bushes were empty. From the Turret hide I could see more black headed gulls, no sign of a med gull. The reed bed where I had seen bittern last year has been trimmed!

Not sure why this viewing platform has been placed overlooking the scrape.


 

I left and drove home via North Duffield Carrs.


It was a nice sunny evening. A lot of birds on the scrape in front of the Geoff Smith hide.



It looks as if the mute swans have now chosen a new nest site. The male swan chased a canada goose, a mallard and a gadwall off the water onto the bank.




I then heard what I thought was a dog barking, when I looked it was this deer.


It made its way around the scrape, barking as it went.



it made its way onto the river bank and I lost sight of it.











No comments:

Post a Comment