Friday 19 April 2024

Barnacle goose at NDC

 

The view from the Geoff Smith hide in between squally showers, when Stuart and I had to close the windows to stop the rain blowing in.

We saw a barnacle goose feeding near the Garganey hide, I could see that it had a white ring on its right leg. I was going to go down to the other hide to try to read the ring, but the weather changed my mind.

This is the 75th different bird that I have seen on the reserve this year and my 113th since I started keeping records.

Alan Whitehead joined us in the hide and as he located the barnacle goose it flew across to the other side of the reserve.

Little grebes are nesting in front of the hide


A little further out a pair of coots are also nesting.


The mute swans seem to have settled on their nest site, to the left of the scrape. A nice group of 6 drake pochard were on the scrape with some tufted ducks.


Still one or two pairs of pintail on the reserve along with wigeon, shoveler, little egrets and grey herons.

No comments:

Post a Comment