Sunday 21 January 2024

Wykeham Raptor Viewpoint

 No football again today due to the state of the pitches. Decided to go the raptor viewpoint at Wykeham.

I stopped at Thornton-le-Dale on the way.


This is the pond near the car park. I walked along the footpath towards the bridge over the stream and saw my first dipper of the year.


Net stop was the North Yorkshire Water Park.





 My first ever visit and I joined 2 other birders who were looking for the smew. It is a large site and we were not sure where to look, so I did not stay long

I stopped at the car park in Forge Valley, where the bird feeders are.


A very distant nuthatch, my first of the year. Coal blue, marsh, long and great tits





I then drove on to my final stop, the raptor viewpoint.




There had been enough snow for someone to make this large snowball.

Across the valley I saw my first goshawk of the year, and then later a buzzard soared over the tree tops.

I heard crossbills as they flew over, 2 or 3 at a time. Then a flock of about 30 appeared and settled in the top of some distance pines. Not the best photos I have taken.






It started to rain so I left for home. A pleasant day out with 4 more ticks for my year list.

No comments:

Post a Comment