Saturday 20 January 2024

RSPB Fairburn Ings

 The strap on my binoculars broke yesterday so I went to Fairburn Ings today to buy a replacement. While I was there I also bought a pocket field guide to birds for one of my friends. He has been seeing ring-necked parakeets in his garden near Clifton Bridge and did not now what they were.

Steph, the lady who also does H&S checks at Fairburn was there, so we were able to have a chat as we don't often see each other. I fixed the new strap to my binoculars and then went off to walk around the boardwalk. There had been a report of a a redpoll at the garden feeders, but no sign of one when I was there, No willow tit at the next 2 sets of feeders, but I did see my first sparrowhawk of the year. so I drove down to the Lin Dike end of the reserve.

Someone has put various feeders in one of the trees at the entrance to the car park and I saw, blue, great, long tailed and my first willow tit of the year.


.This was the view from the screen at Lin Dike. Open water a few yards from the hide and lots of birds near the edge.


a male goldeneye


a marsh harrier was hunting over the fields where the cattle were grazing


a single shelduck joined the other birds on the ice



A pleasant few hours as it was not as cold as yesterday. 34 birds on my day list including 2 year ticks.

No comments:

Post a Comment