Thursday 25 January 2024

Lower Derwent Valley

 


A dull and grey day, not quite how I interpreted the weather forecast. So I decided to stay local for birding today and started at Bank Island. A good view from the viewing platform and I was hoping that I might see scaup. They had been reported by Stuart from Wheldrake Ings, but I did not fancy the long trudge to the far hide in wellies.

Lots of tufted duck, wigeon, teal, a few gadwall, 3 goldeneye. After an hour I drove to the viewing platform at Thorganby.

No sign of a little owl in the field next to the orchard, perhaps I will see one at St. Aidans tomorrow.

Pintail, wigeon, teal, kestrel, lapwing and a common gull, so off I set for North Duffield Carrs.

I had the place to myself.



A grey heron at the far end of the scrape.

Lots of wigeon and 2 mute swans. Teal, mallard, pintail, gadwall on the Carrs. Across the river were at least 3 whooper swans, but they were keeping close to the river bank, so viewing was not easy.
Marsh harrier, sparrowhawk and red kite disturbed the birds and about 30 pink feet flew over, heading towards Thorganby. A pleasant 4 hours.


No comments:

Post a Comment