Saturday 13 January 2024

Blacktoft Sands

 

It was just starting to get light as I arrived at the reserve for my day in reception. I like to have a walk around before we open so that I can inform visitors about what they might be able to see.

Marshland lagoon had 11 shelduck, 35 wigeon 22 mallard, 16 teal and 5 whooper swans.





Nearly 300 lapwings were on various islands on Ousefleet lagoon along with 2 dunlin and a redshank.

62 wigeon and 150 teal. The teal were still asleep.



 On the way back to the main part of the reserve I saw 3 skylarks on the field on my right. The first tick of the day.

This mute swan was on Townend lagoon


4 marsh harriers were interacting with each other, before this one sat on the top of a bush

Back in reception with Stu, we got the wood burning stove going, which helped to melt the ice  on the windows.

Stonechats were perched on the reeds on the other side of the ditch and then we saw a kingfisher fly past, tick number2 for the day. Will I get to 100 year ticks today?

Stu went down to Ousefleet to check on the ponies and saw redwing and mistle thrush in the grazing paddock. I went down to have a look but they had gone. Later on as I was taking things back to my car, I spent a few minutes scanning the trees on the edge of the flower meadow. Redwing and mistle thrush, ticks 100 and 101.

A pleasant day with 35 birds on my list including 4 year ticks. 


No comments:

Post a Comment