Saturday 6 January 2024

Hartlepool

 


No football again due to flooded pitches so decided to make the most of the free time and go to Hartlepool birding. I arrived at Ward Jackson Park at 0830, just as it was getting light.


Just one ring necked parakeet sat at the top of a tall tree calling, but got no replies. Goosander , coot and herring gull were 3 more year ticks.

Hartlepool,Headland was stop number 2.


The tide was coming in and there was quite a swell on the sea. I felt a bit queasy looking at the scoters going up and down. Shag and turnstone were soon added to the day list. Purple sandpipers were feeding in the paddling pool as they searched the seaweed for food.


more were feeding on the rocks


From the Pilots Pier I saw Slavonian grebe and red throated diver, but they were too far away for a picture. I then drove round towards the lifeboat station and added black redstart to my list.


 The bird was standing on a concrete block some distance away, so I had to try to get a photo by placing my camera in a gap in the fence. A short drive to the Marina. No divers but little grebe, razorbill and red breasted merganser.


The sunshine had given way to cloud and now it was raining, so on to Newburn Bridge. The car park was full and I just managed to get a space. It was now high tide and some waders were close to the footpath.



This oystercatcher had found something to eat and was trying to keep away from the other birds.


Just a few wigeon and shoveler down the road to North Gare, so Greatham Creek was the next stop.


Lots of redshank and a single black tailed godwit. RSPB Saltholme next.




From the Phil Stead hide I saw a few wildfowl, most of which were asleep. A flock of about50 siskin were feeding in the top of alder trees, but were too  flighty to get a picture. 4 cattle egrets from the fire station screen and a great white egret on Saltholme Pool East. 

I then walked down to the Saltholme Pool hide and added goldeneye, pintail and little egret to my list.

Last stop of the day was at Cowpen Bewley Woodland Park.


It was now past 2pm and the light was not brilliant. However I was able to see yellowhammer, great spotted woodpecker, treecreeper, coal tit, lots of chaffinches.

A good days birding with 73 birds on my day list and my year list now stands at 84.

No comments:

Post a Comment