Sunday 28 March 2021

Last tick in lockdown!

 Adjusted the clocks last night and decided that if I woke up early I would go to Askham Bog. I did wake up early so I was at the Bog by 0715.Pheasant flying were the first birds I saw and heard followed by blackbird and dunnock. I put some seed on the top of the fence posts as I walked along to the pond. Not a lot of activity. I heard the chiffchaff by the pond but could not locate it. A pair of mallard were on the pond.

I continued along the board walk. I could hear jays on my right but could not see them. I also heard a woodpecker on my left but again I was unable to find it. I startled a roe deer as I walked a bit further along the boardwalk.

Back at the start, and the seed was still on the fence posts, not even the wood pigeons were interested. Carrion crows were flying over as walked to the pond for the second time. Again the seed was still on the fence posts. A sparrowhawk was circling high over the pond and a male reed bunting was singing from its perch in a willow tree, The chiffchaff was still singing and this time I managed to see it.

As I walked further along the boardwalk I saw a great spotted woodpecker fly into the wood, another new bird for this year, and hopefully the last tick of a lockdown!!

Another chiffchaff was singing from trees on my left and as I got a bit further along the board walk I heard another chiffchaff above my head. I managed to find it but it was very mobile so no picture. I was now back at the start of the boardwalk and again the seed was still on the fence posts. Had the usual mix of birds moved on, or was the strong wind forcing them to hide.

A last lap. The chiffchaff at the pond was still singing but remained elusive, but the seed had gone from the fence posts, so I replaced it. No sign of jays or woodpecker as I walked along, but a grey heron flew overhead. Back at the start and the seed had gone. Had the woodpigeons eaten it?

I put more seed out and the birds quickly came to get it. Blackbirds, robins, dunnocks, blue, great and coal tits. They all moved very quickly so taking photos was not easy.






Just as I got back to my car I saw a pair of long tailed tits and noticed these flowers.

I have filled the car fuel tank, cleaned binoculars and telescope. Camera battery fully charged and sd card empty , all ready for tomorrow.

Question is, where do I go?

Cannot go to Wales to see the walrus. My last years holiday to Wales was transferred to next month, but will I be able to go?

It is a bit too far to go to Devon and back in a day to get a lifer by seeing the mockingbird, but I am sure that I will find somewhere to go and enjoy a days birdwatching.

No comments:

Post a Comment