Sunday 21 March 2021

First chiffchaff!

 Staying local I went to Askham Bog early this morning. The usual mixture of birds flew down to the fence posts. they are very confiding.











Not brilliant pictures as the light was very poor.

Near the pond I heard then saw my first chiffchaff of the year. One downside of the lockdown has been the way that people have behaved on reserves and open spaces. I don't think that it is exaggerating to say that there are very few parts of Hob Moor that have not been walked on. The whole 90 acres have been well used, there are paths everywhere. As I was walking back from the pond towards the main part of the boardwalk, I heard childrens voices. A mother had brought her two young kids to the reserve and they were riding around, despite notices saying no cycling. Then I saw a chap with his dog, The dog was running all over the place and not on a lead as per the notices. I returned home.

I was doing some jobs in the garden when I noticed this starling on the bird feeders.



 My photos don't do justice to the colours on the bird. I had only just put my camera down when I saw a red kite, just above the roof of the house opposite. It was been mobbed by a carrion crow and soon was out of sight. When I had done the jobs in the garden, I sat enjoying a cup of tea, when I heard a buzzard calling. At first I could not see the bird but eventually I saw it quite high up slowly drifting eastwards. 

No comments:

Post a Comment