Tuesday 30 March 2021

Early evening at North Duffield Carrs

 After an exciting afternoon at home with 4 buzzards and an osprey flying over I decided to go to NDC. I arrived about 5pm and joined 3 other birders in the hide. One left fairly soon after I arrived.

A pair of little ringed plovers were on the far edge of the scrape and then flew off. In the distance I could see a group of swans.


When I looked at them through my telescope I could see that they were whooper swans, 21 of them

I did not think that I would see them before they returned to Iceland, as during the lockdown there were lots of reports of birds flying north. So it was a pleasant surprise to see these birds and add them to my year list.

Curlews were busy flying about and lapwings were doing their acrobatic displays. Male pintails were looking smart in the late afternoon sunshine.

A hare was in a field to the left of the hide.




26 shelduck were flying about in the distance as a marsh harrier quartered part of the reserve.

A pleasant way to end a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment