Sunday 1 September 2024

Curlew sandpiper at Blacktoft

On duty with Stu. I arrived early enough to be able to visit all the hides before the first visitor arrived.

Teal, mallard and little egrets from the viewing screen at Ousefleet. Lots of birds in the long hedge on the way back to Marshland hide, including tree sparrow, long tailed tits, blue and great tits and young willow warblers.. Later on Stu had linnet and blackcap.

Marshland lagoon like all the lagoons are not full of water. The team have lowered the water levels to expose mud for the waders returning from the far north and also to allow them access to the islands, so that they can cut the vegetation.

Several green sandpipers, snipe, spotted redshank, ruff, avocet, black-tailed godwits and lapwings were busily feeding. I saw 2 barn owls in their box. A sparrowhawk flew over which disturbed all the birds, except the snipe, they are so confident that their plumage acts as camouflage.

Cetti's warblers were singing as I walked towards Reedling hide. From here I added more blackwits and little egrets to my day total.


This grey heron was standing at the edge of the water on 1st lagoon, while 4 snipe and a green sandpiper were feeding.

More cetti's singing on my way to Townend hide, from where I added more redshank, snipe, lapwing and black-tailed godwits to my list. A male reed bunting was singing from the top of a reed, while more willow warblers were making contact calls from the willows as I walked towards Singleton.

A good mix of waders were visible from the hide, including year tick number 188, a curlew sandpiper.


It was a fair distance from the hide, hence the poor photo. Also on the lagoon were greenshank, redshank, snipe, spotted redshank, black-tailed godwits, green sandpipers and ruff.

Time to go and open the visitor centre, where I had a steady stream of visitors all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment