Tuesday 3 September 2024

Green woodpecker at North Cave Wetlands

 Arrived at North Cave Wetlands just before 9am. As I walked past the butty bus, I saw on the sightings board that the night heron had been seen to fly to another part of the reserve, so that took care of one of my two target birds for today.

From the East hide I saw and heard lots of lapwings. Mallard, teal gadwall and pochard were also present.

28 little egrets and 7 grey herons were standing close together at the end of the Turret hide lagoon and a single green sandpiper was also there.

As I walked along the North hedge I heard and eventually saw long tailed tits, blue and great tits, a whitethroat and a willow warbler.

On the way to the new hide I heard and then saw my second target bird for today a green woodpecker. It was sitting on a fence post, but flew off long before I got close to it. From the new hide I saw a couple of hundred greylag geese and a single Egyptian goose.

The area in front of the Crossland hide is now mostly dry. A few ducks, including shoveler, on the pool of water in front of the hide. As I walked down Dryham Lane I saw lots of goldfinches and linnets. Along the "butterfly" walk I disturbed a great spotted woodpecker and a cetti's warbler.

My last stop was at South hide where I was able to add sand martins to my day list, bringing the total to 40 and year tick 189. 

No comments:

Post a Comment