Tuesday 10 September 2024

Filey and Bempton

 




The above was my view from the car park hide at Filey Dams on Monday morning at 8am.

Green and common sandpiper in front of the hide and grey herons all over the place, fishing must be good .Due to the direction of the wind, it was not pleasant viewing in the hides as the wind was blowing straight in to the windows, so I walked round to East Lea.


No wind blowing in the windows, however the smell from the pig farm was a bit unpleasant.

Lots of waders on the far island


black-tailed godwits, snipe, curlew, common sandpiper, ruff, dunlin, lapwing, curlew sandpiper and a little stint. The lapwings kept flying off and this occasionally caused the other waders to join them. A kestrel flew over which put everything up, and then a sparrowhawk landed on a fence post and watched for a while before leaving.

During the disturbances the waders would get a bit closer to the hide.






 A single wigeon was also near the hide


After a couple of hours I left, had a brief chat with Judith at the entrance gate and walked back to my car at the Dams. A quick visit to the three hides did not result in any new birds for my day list.

Carr Naze was my next stop.


A strong wind was blowing and after a short chat with George who was doing a spell of sea watching, I walked around the wood at the top of the country park. Due to the strong wind everything was keeping out of sight.

I then drove to Bempton Cliffs and spent a couple of hours sitting looking into the Dell.

Wood pigeons, blackbird, swallows, tree sparrows, a whitethroat and a blackcap.




Just over a month to the ringing at Flamborough when I hope to see more newly arrived birds.


No comments:

Post a Comment