Tuesday 30 July 2024

Hot afternoon at Blacktoft Sands

 Plan A was to go to Blacktoft in the morning when it was cool. However just as I was about to leave home, the clothes line broke, so I had to sort that out. As a result it was 2.15pm when I arrived on site.

Ian was busy in reception so I walked down to Marshland Hide. Lapwings, spotted redshank and at least 7 green sandpipers were visible from the hide.

After a while I left and went back to reception to tal



k to Daz and sort out the locking up procedure for the night and agree with Ian the arrangements for the cricket on Tuesday.

I then went to Townend, where there were more green sandpipers, and then I went to Singleton where 3 black-tailed godwits were feeding and a great white egret was.

I returned to my car where I ate my tea while listening to the news.

I joined Ian, Andrew and Jean in Townend hide from where I could see a young water rail, year tick number 181. We then went to Singleton hide. After a while the three of them left and I walked back to Marshland hide.

A single avocet was feeding and six black-tailed godwits dropped in for a quick feed before flying off again. I went to Reedling hide from where I could see 2 young marsh harriers sat on the top of a bush waiting for dad to bring more food. Another young water rail came out of the reeds and had a preen.

It was now 8pm and time to lock up..

No comments:

Post a Comment