Thursday 1 July 2021

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

When a rare/unusual bird comes up on Birdguides what do I do? Dash off and see it or wait until it has gone! The albatross at Bempton Cliffs is a prime example. When it appeared on Monday I thought that it might not stay and could have gone by the time that I got there. Tuesday and Wednesday were busy so today was the day. I was with others including Stu from Blacktoft at 0545 hoping to see the bird. It was overcast and cold. I went back to the car and put another layer of clothes on. By 0730there was no sign of the bird so I went for a walk and took a few pictures.



Lots of kittiwake chicks.
The gannets are very close to the path.




















Puffins were hiding on the ledges



Lots of jackdaws about

I walked towards Flamboro in the hope of seeing corn buntings. No sign of them but plenty of skylarks, reed buntings and meadow pipits.

By mid morning there was no sign of the albatross so I decided to head for Filey Dams. 

A barn owl was chased back to its box. A blackwit was asleep in front of the central hide.
I sat in the first hide and ate my lunch. I checked my phone and the albatross had been reported from Filey. So I decided to go back to Bempton.  I had to go into the second overflow car park there were that many people at the reserve.
I walked to the oberservation platform and spoke to one or two people who were still there from earlier in the morning. There was no sign of the bird and when I checked my phone the reported sighting at Filey was now classed as erroneous. I decided therefore to go home. Next time the bird appears I MUST go earlier.

No comments:

Post a Comment