Monday 28 June 2021

David versus Goliath

 I did not realise how much I missed sitting in a hide watching birds until the lockdown was imposed. I found it very annoying that people could fish as that was classed as exercise, whilst I could not stop on a walk to look at a bird through binoculars as that was classed as enjoyment. So now that I can sit in hides and leisurely watch birds, I have spent most of my time at reserves with hides, and just once a week a trip further afield.

Blacktoft Sands has always been a favourite place to visit as there are six hides and plenty of birds. Its location tends to attract more birds than visitors, I can have a relaxing time.

At the moment lots of birds are still feeding their first brood, some of whom are now able to fly. Blacktoft with its vast reed beds is an attractive place for sedge warblers. After their long journey from south of the Sahara Desert, Blacktoft is the ideal habitat.




In front of First Hide there is a large elderberry bush.

and perched on the tallest part was a cuckoo. It had been calling from various parts of the reserve before settling on this bush. It did not call while it sat there.
Then a sedge warbler arrived.




the sedge must have recognised it as a predator and started to fly towards it. The cuckoo did not like it and flew off. Sorry about the photos, the bush is just about at the limit of my lens.



As the words from the " Gotta travel on " song say "summers almost gone, winters rolling on". Birds that have been breeding in the arctic are now starting their long journey south. An opportunity for me to add a few birds to my year list.

Tufted ducks are one of the last birds to have young and I had a brief glimpse of a couple in the ditch in front of the hides. This young game bird wandered out onto the footpath.



a bittern is often seen as it goes to find food for its young. It flies high as it leaves its nest area but when it returns it flies just above the reed bed.

The number of little egrets is still increasing and spoonbills fly over on their journey from Fairburn to Alkborough.







No comments:

Post a Comment