Thursday 8 July 2021

Osprey



 My plan for this afternoon was to go to Bank Island and hopefully add wood sandpiper to my year list. I read on twitter that farmers are cutting the hay in the area and there good be some disruption, so decided to go to Nosterfield instead.



Lots of birds about some very young ones still. A pair of little grebes are still sitting on eggs. Their nest was just beyond the limit of my lens.




on the opposite bank of the water there were lots of curlews. I could not see them all as lots were behind the vegetation. I managed to count 159, but probably  missed lots.


After visiting the two main hides I decided to go to the other site near the quarry. As I walked towards Flask Lake I saw several dragonflies



there were also lots of butterflies




lots of rabbits about as well


On Flask lake itself I could see lots of mute swans, greylag geese and 2 great crested grebes.

But my attention was drawn by the noise oystercatchers were making. Looking through my binoculars I managed to locate them. They were making their alarm calls because an osprey was circling over the lake. It was circling over the far side of the lake, so my pictures are taken at a fair distance.









I was able to watch the bird for about 20 minutes, a splendid way to spend a sunny afternoon.

Will the bird return next spring with a mate and use the nest platform that has been built?

No comments:

Post a Comment