Tuesday 6 July 2021

Looking for Albert!

 Due to various domestic issues, today was my first chance to get out birding. I am taking part in the ONS Covid survey and this morning was time to give a blood sample. This took longer than I expected so it was 1030 when I arrived at Bempton. I was able to park in the main car park as there were still empty places. When I checked my phone I was able to read that the albatross had left and was seen going north past Filey Brigg.

I was hoping to see corn bunting on my visit and one of the people on reception suggested that I tried the posts near the old RAF base. I walked in this direction but most of the posts were hidden by the tall vegetation. On my way to the end of the reserve I came across this peregrine.

It was eating something one of its parent caught for it. As I walked back along the path it had finished eating and had moved a bit further up the cliff.

On the way back to the visitor centre I met Ian from Old Moor. We chatted for a while, as Ian and his friend scoped the old RAF base area looking for corn buntings but they could not find any. I retuned to my car and had a bit of lunch before returning to the reserve and walking along the path towards Flamboro. I saw meadow pipits, reed buntings and skylarks but no corn buntings, I took a few photos of the sea birds.


















I was about half way back to the centre when the thunder and lighting started and then the rain started. By the time that I got back to my car my walking shoes were full of water!

No sign of the albatross again,

 

No comments:

Post a Comment