Tuesday 1 September 2020

4 ticks at Spurn

I have been visiting Spurn on a regular basis to try to add to my list for this year. I would like to see over 200 birds this year, which I think is a bit of a challenge after loosing at least two months prime time birding. During this time I would have been to Scotland, Wales and Dartmoor and probably added a minimum of 12 birds to my list but better to miss birds than catch a virus.
I left York early and parked my car near the Canal Scrape Car Park at 0830.
Always nice to see a group of birders, as it usually means they are looking at a bird, in this case a wryneck. I have seen wrynecks before with Chris, at Hartlepool Headland and at South Gare. They were not too difficult to see, but todays was in a different league.




The bird was feeding on the verge at the other side of the road and was not bothered about people or the cars that drove past. I then went to the hide but it was full so walked down to the sea watch hut and joined a group of birders there, all sat outside socially distanced.

 
Visibility was good, but birds were scarce. In the hour that I was there I saw 1 gannet, a few scoter, a red throated diver and a grey heron. Eventually we all left about the same time and went to see how the ringers were getting on. They had ringed a barred warbler about 6am and released it, but nobody knew where it was. I walked back to the car park, and tried the hide again. Still full so I left, and missed a bittern flying in, 2 possible ticks missed. There were still lots of people watching the wryneck. I decided to try Kilnsea Wetlands, but the car park was full so I drove to Sammys Point.
It was low tide, so not many birds close the shore, However this wheatear was a good find.'


I had gone to this area as three short eared owls had been seen earlier, but I was not able to find them, however this was a pleasant bird to find.



I had seen a spotted flycatcher on my last visit to Spurn so it was nice to see a pied flycatcher.
A barred warbler was reported from Sykes Field, so off I set . By the time I reached the spot the bird had flown elsewhere, so I got my chair out of my car and ate my lunch whilst looking out to sea.
2 chaps from Cleethorpes came and sat nearby and we chatted, During our time there we only saw one bird a shag, it was still quiet.
I drove back to Canal Scrape and parked my car. The wryneck was still drawing a crowd. I went to the hide and there was room for me sit. The swallows young had now fledged so no birds flying in and out of the hide. A water rail came out of the reeds to have a preen. The bird was always hidden by either reeds or grass.


Another bird for my year list. More people came into the hide so I left. It was mid afternoon so I decided to give Kilnsea Wetlands a last  try on my way home. Lots of vehicles in the car par, but I drove in and found a place to park. When I got to the hide I was surprised to find only one person in it! I should have tried earlier and not been put off by a full car park.
Lots of gulls, terns, greylag geese and a variety of waders to be seen.
This dunlin was getting closer as was this black tailed godwit
then a lady left the hide and a chap took her place. He moved the bench she was sat on and banged it on the floor and the birds flew away! Luckily he did not stay as a report came through about a barred warbler, so he left to go and see it. I decided not to go and look for a fourth time. A family of yellow wagtails dropped in for a wash and a drink.



A pied wagtail came close
spoonbills in the distance
a snipe was close but hidden by the grass.

A very pleasant day with four ticks to bring my year list to 181, can I find another 19 birds over the next 4 months? 

 




No comments:

Post a Comment