Monday 7 September 2020

Another wild goose chase.

This tale could run to a few blogs. I decided to try again for the Egyptian geese. As per my last visit there were a lot of greylag geese in the fields to the left of the reserve road. As Crossland hide is still closed for repairs I had to find a gap in the hedge from which to view the fields. Looking through my telescope I was able to slowly scan the geese in the nearest field, no sign of any Egyptian geese. I scanned through the geese in the furthest field, but a lot of them were either sleeping or feeding and I could not see their heads.
I went into South hide next. Not many birds on the water, a few mallard and gadwall.
A little grebe came close to the hide.

East hide was my next stop. Another large group of greylag geese


a grey heron, lapwings and cormorants were all on the grass. The turret hide was my next stop. More water than on my last visit. Mallards, teal, shovelers and gadwalls were having a sleep. A single ruff was on one small island and a green sandpiper was on another.
I walked towards the next hide. Still quite a bit of colour in the vegetation.














Butterflies and dragonflies were about.
Mute swans, little egret, wigeon, mallard and coots were on the water.
Gadwall were feeding close to the hide.

Lots of lapwings were also in front of the hide.


No sign of any Egyptian geese, so perhaps another visit is needed.


No comments:

Post a Comment