Thursday 3 September 2020

A wild goose chase.

A pleasant morning at North Cave Wetlands. I had chosen to go there in the hope of seeing the Egyptian geese that are often reported.
Crossland Hide is still closed for repairs so I started at the South hide.
Not a lot of birds to be seen. A group of shovelers
in the distance I could see several swallows and 2 swifts, quite late I thought for swifts.
Small groups of greylag geese flew from the Reedbed Lake over the top of the hide I was in and landed on the part of the reserve across the road.
I did not want to leave the hide and visit other parts of the reserve to look for the geese and miss them as they flew over the hide.
Eventually there was a lull and so I took a chance and walked towards the reserve entrance. Here I came a cross a group of volunteers pruning one of the hedges. This could have been part of the reason that the geese kept flying elsewhere.
From the East hide I could see more geese
a grey heron was on the edge of the grassy area
further over lapwings and cormorants were outnumbered by the greylags, but no sign of Egyptian geese. A single common tern was fishing.
I then walked towards the turret hide and came across another group of volunteers who were cutting the vegetation. This job needed doing as some of the reeds etc. had been blown by the recent strong winds and were blocking part of the path. The group were using chainsaws and I guess that this noise kept disturbing the geese and making them fly.
From the next hide I could see more geese but they were all greylags. A shoveler came close to the hide.
On my way back to the car park I saw a couple of dragonflies
lots of butterflies
A pleasant few hours but no sign of the geese I was hoping to see.







No comments:

Post a Comment