Thursday 2 March 2023

Waxwing






 As I mentioned in yesterdays blog, the challenge for today was to try to find the waxwing that had been reported very near to my house. I waited until school had started and then walked out on to the moor. I slowly walked along following the ditch and path on my right until I came to the mature trees near the school.
Lots of redwings in the tops of the trees but I could not find a waxwing. The light was not brilliant and there was an odd shower of rain. I kept scanning the trees and eventually saw a bird fly in, and looking through my bins, could see that it was a waxwing. Not the best picture in the world.


Dog walkers stopped to ask what I was looking at and I took my eye off the bird, so that a few minutes later when George Watola turned up I could not find the bird. George stayed until 1030, but still no sign of a waxwing, so I walked back with him to his car and picked up my copy of the 2021 Filey Bird and wildlife report. I walked back to the moor and stopped to look for the bird, but no sign of it. A lady dog walker asked me what I was looking for and then told me about how she often sees a little egret.
I walked towards home and met Gary and Wendy Flakes, who had come in the hope of seeing the bird.
After a chat with them I continued my walk home and to my surprise saw a little egret fly up from the ditch and land in a tree.

A nice addition to my patch list.

No comments:

Post a Comment