Tuesday 28 March 2023

North Duffield Carrs

 


A beautiful spring day on Monday 27th of March, I could have been in the Med!!

When I first arrived in the Garganey hide there were lots of ducks, geese and waders this side of the bund. I opened the window very quietly, no birds noticed. Then the farmer drove by in his tractor and all the birds flew to the furthest part of the reserve.

Lots of wigeon, some squabbling. At least 4 pairs of pintail still present, along with a few shoveler, tufted ducks, mallard gadwall and teal. I carefully scanned through the teal but was unable to find a garganey. The magical sound of curlew bubbling away as they glided over the meadow.

AS I walked back to the Geoff Smith hide I saw nice examples of spring.




No birds on the scrape in front of the hide when I first arrived, A pair of little grebes were calling and eventually emerged from the vegetation. To the right of the scrape a male reed bunting sang his chirpy song, while 2 red legged partridges fed along the river bank.

Across the river a group of 19 whooper swans were swimming back and forth. Were they getting restless and ready to start their long journey back to Iceland?
A pleasant afternoon with 33 birds on my list.

No comments:

Post a Comment