Tuesday 18 January 2022

Hob Moor

 My first visit of the year on what I suppose I can call "my patch" as it is only a 2 minute walk from home.


This triamgular shaped part of the moor has a stream on the left hand side, and several blackbirds were having a bathe in the shallow water. On the right hand side there are lots of thick bushes where lots of house sparrows were sat chirping. Several starlings were in one of the mature trees on the left, adding their voices to the house sparrows.


These few trees are on the edge of the main railway line. Lots of blackbirds looking for food in the leaf litter, a male great tit was singing "teacher, teacher" loudly while a robin was singing in a lower volume.

Out onto the moor itself.


The stream is on the left hand side and the frost is still visible where the bushes have prevented the sunshine from melting it.


Not as many people out walking today compared to my last visit. Not much bird life either. I walked along the left hand side of the moor and saw several blue tits looking for food and heard more great tits singing.


No trains ruuning on this miniature railway today, lets hope it is the cold weather and not covid that is stopping them. My walk took me past more houses where woodpigeons were perched on the roof before swooping down to the feeders in the gardens. I walked past the supermarket and then turned right and walked along the left hand side of the moor. One resident has put some bird feeders near the hedge.




house sparrows and starlings were battling for a place on the feeders. At home the birds prefer the bread that my neighbour puts out compared to the seed, peanuts and suet balls that I have put into my feeders!

Further along, past the primary school, another stream forms the edge of the moor. On the other side of the stream is a sports ground which can often attract large numbers of gulls, but none today. A magpie had a good view of the local area from the top of this tree.


Just before I reached home a pair of mute swans flew over, quite low. I haave never seen swans flying low over the moor before.


They did not fly in the direction of either of the three local ponds, so I dont know where they were heading for. A pleasant walk in the winter sun and another 3 miles towards my monthly target of 70 miles. Hoping to go to North Cave Wetlands tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment