Wednesday 26 January 2022

Filey

 Shopping with granddaughter in Scarborough then a spot of birding.

Holbeck area of Scarborough to look at the gulls, black headed and mediterranean.


 A nother birder turned up and told me about the birds she had seen at Filey so the Country Park was my next stop. Lapland bunting and skylark had been seen in the Top Field, so I walked up to the area. The field is a very large one and I could not see any buntings or skylark, there was a peregrine sitting in the middle of the field.


I walked back towards Carr Naze and as I got close to the pond I saw a male stonechat sat on top of a fence post. I picked up my camera to take a picture when I noticed another bird sitting on the fence.



I walked to the end of the top footpath and looked over the Brigg. Shag, cormorant, guillemot and fulmar were all flying about. On my way back to the car, I noticed this kestrel peched on a bush.


This common gull was standing near my car.


I drove to Filey Dams, where I sat in a hide and watched the birds whilst eating my lunch. Moorhens and mallards were walking towards the bird table on the left hand side of the hide, so that they could eat some of the seeds that the sparrows were knocking off the table. Plenty of gulls were in the water having a bathe


A pair of shelducks were busy feeding


gadwall, teal, wigeon and tufted ducks were also on the water. As I walked to the last hide, I passed the area where they had cut down a lot of the willows. A snipe flew off and a water rail hid in the willows that were laying on the ground. A pleasant day with 3 more ticks for my year list.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment