Monday 31 January 2022

Afternoon with shelducks.


 A couple of hours to spare so I went to Bank Island, near Wheldrake. The water level is lower than on my last visit. The wind was still blowing quite strongly and as I approached the hide I could hear a banging noise and thought that it was someone inside. When I opened the door and saw that the hide was empty, I realised that it was one of the roof panels that was the cause of the noise as the wind lifted it up at one corner and then it banged down. I opened one of the front windows but the wind blew straight in, so I opened the right hand side one. the above photo was my view.

Lapwing, teal, shoveler, wigeon, pintail and shelduck. Two mute swans were feeding in some vegetation on my left and a few black headed gulls were having a bathe in the water. The behaviour of the shelduck drew my attention.


In the centre of this picture are the nets that are used to catch the shelducks for ringing. Seed is put down in the area to tempt the shelducks near the nets. Some seed remains and the shelducks were warily going towards it.








suddenly they would fly back towardsthe water. I was a bit surprised to see pintails with them.

The noise that you can hear in this short video clip is the roof on the hide.


a pleasant wat end a month.


No comments:

Post a Comment