Monday 17 January 2022

Filey and Bempton

 A good weather forecst after misty cold days, so I headed for Filey.


Good visibility, no clouds and a bit on the cold side


Sadly no grey phalarope to be seen, just oystercatchers and purple sandpipers on the Brig.


This snow bunting was busy eating seeds on one of the cliff top paths, tick number 1 for the day.

A Richard's pipit had been reported from the rocket field, near the rocket post, but I could not see it, On my way back to the car I saw several pipits and 2 fieldfares. A few birders were looking at the birds and when I joined them I could see a meadow pipit, tick number 2 and the Richard's pipit, tick number 3.

I went to Filey Dams, where I sat in the hide and had lunch.



Lots of gulls including this common one. A male mallard looked good in the sunshine.



tree sparrows were flying back and forth to the feeders near the hide, tick number 4. After lunch I went to Bempton. Part of the road was closed for resurfacinng work, so I had to follow the diversion signs.

Not many people there and the centre was closed.



A few fulmars were flying about, tick number 5 and just after 3pm a short eared owl came out to hunt. It was a long way away, but it was a pleasure to be able to stand and watch the bird hunting,


but it was my 6th tick of the day and brought my year total to 92.

No comments:

Post a Comment