Saturday 4 September 2021

"Other waders are available"

 Just as on various media channels we are informed that "other products" are available, I felt that it was suitable to let people know that there are other waders on the reserve at the moment as well as the white tailed lapwing. Since my last post I have been at Blacktoft on several days helping with all the visitors. I thought that the number of visitors may have gone down by today, but birders still kept coming in. Today we had people from Germany and Poland!

The bird behaved well for most of the day and visitors had good views. Once they had seen the bird, several visitors left to do the "double" and go to Bempton and see "Albert". Others stayed and visited the other hides Lots of them saw bearded tits, one of the reserves special birds. There were plenty of waders other than the lapwing for visitors to see, including:-

ringed plover

little ringed plover

dunlin

little stint

ruff

snipe

lapwing

black tailed godwit

greenshank

green sandpiper

redshank

spotted redshank

Most people saw yellow wagtails and water rails. When I opened up first thing this morning there was a great white egret on Singleton lagoon and 46 little egrets were on Xerox.

Just before I cam home I went to First hide. The team have done some work on the lagoon and the white tailed lapwing was feeding there. It stretched one wing, which was my first view of its wing pattern and when it preened I saw its tail.






No comments:

Post a Comment