Monday 27 September 2021

Wink wink, wink wink

 






In earlier blogs I have commented on bird song/calls. North Cave wetlands for instance when the black headed gulls start nesting and their noise fills the air. Now it is the time when the sound of pinkfeet are heading south. Blacktoft is an ideal place to see and witness, what for me is one of natures spectacles.
I was on duty at Blacktoft on Saturday afternoon and all day Sunday and the sound of the geese could be heard for most of the day. On Saturday the geese flying back to the Humber were flying fairly low so it was possible to identify barnacle geese amongst the pink feet.

"Larry" the white tailed lapwing is still present and attracting visitors from far and wide.


Not sure how much longer the bird will remain. Will the colder weather make it continue it journey south?
Lots of little egrets on the reserve





a great white egret was also on Singleton lagoon.
and several ruff




From Marshland hide I saw snipe,

lots of meadow pipits were also on the lagoon.


I saw a merlin 3 times during my stay on Sunday. I think that it was the same female. Will the change in weather bring us another star bird or more winter visitors?



No comments:

Post a Comment