Friday 17 September 2021

Pectoral sandpiper and bluethroat, thanks to the ladies.

 I have only managed to get out birding for a few hours at a time this week for various reasons. My first outing was to Nosterfield. A pectoral sandpiper had been reported so I decided to go and look for it. There were a few people there, standing at the screen and looking for the bird. Sue from Harrogate was there and she told me where the bird had been seen. I went and sat in the hide and after a few minutes Sue came in and told me where she had seen it. It was difficult to see as it was behind some greylag geese, but I managed to find it using my scope. Tick number 165.


The pec sand was too far away to get a photo and the water level was quite low.



I walked a liitle of the way towards the North screen.


Not much bird life on the water but plenty of butterflies.


Lots of berries on the bushes.

I remember as a child using these to make "itching powder".

On Thursday afternoon I went to Potteric Carr Nature Reserve, near Doncaster. A black tern and a sanderling had been reported and I need both for my year list. I arrived at 3:15 and was told that the reserve closed at 5, so I did not have long.

The birds had been seen on West Scrape so I "marched" off.






Some 5 miles later I was back in reception at 4:55 but I had not seen the birds I was looking for.

My journey there along the A1 had been difficult. Lots of HGV's despite the national shortage of drivers, and lorries travelling at 48 miles an hour blocking a lane for several miles while they overtake a lorry travelling at 46 miles an hour! So I decided to go to Blacktoft Sands. I have been on duty numerous times since Larry the Lapwing appeared, but I have not seen him fly. It was a nice sunny evening and I thought that I might have a chance to get some photos.

As I walked onto the reserve I passed Stu, who was talking to Dean on his mobile and Pete told me that the bluethroat was showing from Marshland hide. There was room in the hide and the bird was visible but I only had my bins so I went back to my car and got my scope. The bluethroat had been seen on the mud at the bottom of the reeds but had flown up into some taller vegetation. I was looking in this direction when Charlotte told us all that she could see the bird. She was looking in a different direction to the rest of us. I had a quick look through her scope and then used mine to see the bird. At one point it was next to a robin.  Thanks to a lady again, tick number 166 for the year. As Dean remarked lots of visitors come to see bearded tits and water rails and go home without seeing them, We could see lots of beardies, 2 water rails, reed warblers, pied and yellow wagtails, ruff, green sandpipers and reed buntings. A pleasant way to end the day.





The view towards Goole as I left the reserve.


No comments:

Post a Comment