Wednesday 29 September 2021

North Cave Wetlands

 A mixture of family commitments and preserving fuel meant that it was 1230 before I arrived at NCW.

A mixture of weather, bright sunshine, cloud, rain, strong wind made taking photos a bit difficult. I started off at the South Hide.


 Bright sunshine as I looked out of the hide window. Large numbers of ducks. Male pochards looked smart in the sunshine

this male wigeon is nearly there, a bit more yellow on his head.

Mr and Mrs gadwall were staying close together.


lots of female shovelers



Crossland hide next

not many birds were on this lagoon. 2 green sandpipers, 2 little egrets, teal, mallard and wigeon.
 A walk along the western footpath

 

someone has put some food in one of the bird feeders


this blue tit was busily feeding on the peanuts. I have not put out any food for the birds yet, perhaps I ought to now that the temperature is dropping. Lots of greylag geese in front of the next hide and plenty of lapwings, but the the sun was shining directly at the hide so no photos. A lesser black backed gull was having a preen on a post.


Goldfinches were feeding on the teasels


no matter how hard I try whenever I hear these birds I am still unable to make "charm" out of their call as apparently this is where the name charm of goldfinches came from!

Despite the wind and rain, dragonflies were on the wing



From the turret hide I was able to see a ruff feeding. From the East hide I managed to see a male mandarin duck




tick number 170 for the year.

It started to rain again as I made my way back to the car so I popped into South hide again.

Little grebes were busily feeding.


great crested grebes were also looking for food, this one travelled a long way under water.


a young moorhen was feeding at the edge of the lagoon.


Perhaps on my next visit there may be some winter visitors to see.


No comments:

Post a Comment