Tuesday 22 June 2021

It's nature!

 Decided to go to Alkborough Flats today. I have not been there for over a year.


The reeds are making viewing very difficult. The weather was very overcast and as a result the swifts, swallows and martins were flying low as they hunted for insects. Avocets were resting


further out 6 spotted redshanks were feeding.


A group of volunteers arrived to clean the hide etc so I decided to leave and go home via Blacktoft.

Lots of vehicles in the car park, it was a busy day compared to Sunday. I started at Ousefleet


The water has now gone and the weeds are starting to grow so that by the time the area floods in autumn there is a good food source for the wintering wildfowl.

Several lapwings were looking for food in one or two places where the soil is still a bit damp. A pied wagtail was busy picking up insects, while a skylark was having a dust bath.



Marshland hide was empty when I arrived which allowed mr to choose my seat. The vegetation in front of the hide makes viewing difficult, but the team cannot cut it yet due to birds still nesting.

The shoveler family are doing well


A lot of gadwall were preening and a single little egret was fishing.

Xerox hide was also empty, which made me wonder where all the people were. Had they seen me arrive and left!

A mute swan family were having a preen on one of the islands. 3 adult coots were feeding in front of First hide and then the male marsh harrier some regular visitors have called "Mr Dangly" arrived.


He landed in the right hand corner of the scrape and caught a young coot. The adult coots flew towards him but it was too late.


Although I often hear birders say well it's nature, it is not always easy to watch the marsh harriers hunting. I got a brief glimpse of a bearded tit just before I saw the bittern fly over the reed bed. Three birders were in Townend hide and they had just seen the bittern fly towards Alkborough.

Two male marsh harriers had a bit of an encounter.










I had a brief chat with Stu, Julie and Heather, members of the Blacktoft team who were cutting the grass at the edge of the path.

Singleton hide was empty and I could see another mute swan family.


I had thought that I might come home via Southfields reservoir and try to see a Caspian tern, which keeps appearing.

No comments:

Post a Comment