Saturday 30 January 2021

Walk around "my patch"

 Decided to have a walk around my patch today. The weather was cold and cloudy and wet and muddy underfoot. I walk on Hob Moor several times a week whilst taking my sons dog for a walk, but dont often get chance to stop and look at things.


The walk around the outside of the moor is about 2 miles. After all the rain the footpath is muddy.


Lots of house sparrows in the bushes on this part of the moor. I don't often see them, just hear them.

Too much water to walk through the trees.



On the moor itself there is a lot of water.


Gulls are finding these areas attractive.


A mixture of black headed gulls and common gulls. They appeared to be finding plenty of food, and several carrion crows were with them.

As I walked along this edge of the moor, there is a stream running along between the moor and the railway line. Today the level is quite high and so I did not manage to see either a kingfisher or a grey wagtail, as I have on previous visits.


There are several "grids" that the water flows through and stops rubbish blocking it. Someone has recently moved it from the grid onto the bank.

The other side of the stream there is a model railway. This is one of the stops.


At one edge of the moor, there is a supermarket and several mature trees.



 In the trees there were several goldfinches. The next part of the walk is close to a housing estate and there are several bird feeders. Lots of house sparrows flying back and forth and a small flock of starlings. In the hedge there are still a few berries


some catkins are also in this area.


I did not see any different birds on the rest of my walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment