Sunday 3 January 2021

East Coast Birding

 Decided to go to the coast today to try to add to my year list.

First stop was Scarborough


I walked around the harbour


a few turnstones about, then I saw a great northern diver, then a second and then a third.





Scalby Mills was my next stop.



plenty of gulls but no white winged


Scarboro Mere was my next port of call









Lots of swans which people were feeding with bread. I added goosander to my year list.

I then used my sat nav to get to Filey Dams. I expected it to take through part of Scarborough so that I could call at Holbeck and try for med gull. It took me along country lanes so I missed the chance to look gulls.

It was very windy at Filey Brigg




I added great crested grebe to my list but once again I could not find any snow buntings.

Filey Dams was where I ate my lunch.



very few birds about so after lunch I headed for Bempton.


very windy on the cliff tops. Lots of fulmars, a few herring gulls, no auks but a peregrine was stooping along the top.


this kestrel was having more luck at remaining still than I was trying to hold my camera steady!

No sign of any short eared owls, the wardens thought that the wind was too strong for them.

7 more birds on my year list.

No comments:

Post a Comment