Tuesday 25 August 2020

Sunny Day at Spurn

A change of plan gave me a few spare hours, so I decided to go to Spurn to see if I could add to my list of birds for the year.
A nice sunny and it was high tide so I was hoping for a good sea watching session.
A very quiet time, not even a gannet. Dunlin, curlew, oystercatchers, sandwich terns and a seal.
Looking out over the estuary these curlew were at the edge of the water.
Canal scrape hide was next on my list.
swallows are still feeding young on their nest in the hide

some swallows were perched on a wire to the left of the hide
common, green and wood sandpipers were on the scrape, but not very close to end of the hide where I was sitting.




I was hoping to get all three in the same shot, but the green and common sandpipers kept moving.
A sparrowhawk landed on the top of one of the bushes
perched on a branch below it was a spotted flycatcher
a little egret flew in



I then parked near the Blue Bell café and had a walk down Beacon Lane in case there were any birds to be seen in the bushes. Sadly no birds but lots of butterflies.




 I then drove to Kilnsea Wetlands and joined other birders in the hide, As it was high tide there were lots of waders on the scrape.
there were redshank, dunlin, knot, greenshank, ruff, snipe, ringed plover, curlew sandpiper and black tailed godwit in the flock.
Feeding on the far bank were some yellow wagtails, and a Caspian gull was amongst the gulls. A pair of spoonbills were fast asleep and I saw my first pintail of the winter.
On my way home I called in at Sammy Point.



The tide has started to go out and there were lots of waders on gulls feeding on the newly exposed mud but there were no birds in the bushes.
46 birds on my day list, 3 new one for my year list.















No comments:

Post a Comment