Sunday 16 August 2020

An afternoon with the terns.

An unexpected few hours of free time this afternoon. Not long enough to go to the coast, and the weather was on the dull side, so I opted for North Cave Wetlands. Not many vehicles in the car park when I arrived.
I decided to start at the East Hide. From the hide I could see this grey heron. Now that the black headed gulls have completed nesting, this pontoon is empty.
The turret hide was my next stop. Not much water in one of the lagoons,so the birds are not very close,  but enough mud to attract 7 green sandpipers and a juvenile little ringed plover.

I walked on to the next hide from where I could see common terns. Each year, I always try to appreciate our summer visitors and not just add them to my year list. I  spent the next 90 minutes watching the terns.

The terns were busy fishing to catch food for the young tern.


A marsh harrier flew over
This disturbed the terns who flew around.

this one upset a cormorant which was perched on this post. A pleasant afternoon, watching these birds as they complete their breeding and get ready for their journey to the other side of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment