Monday 3 August 2020

Staveley and Nosterfield.

Plan  A was to go to Scaling Dam in the hope of seeing an osprey. However by the time I had done a couple of jobs the council had arrived to do a repair job on the road, so I was unable to drive.
There were no reports of osprey by the time the road repair had been completed, so I decided to go to Staveley. The car park was full, but just as I was about to leave, two cars left so I parked in one of their places.
A walk around the flower meadow was rewarded with views of some butterflies.

Near the small pond I saw a dragonfly

Also near the edge of the water was this youn goldfinch.


I don't know if it was injured or poorly, but it did not move, so I walked away and left it alone.
This bracket fungus was on a tree, as I walked towards the first hide.
As I got near the first hide, a couple in front of me walked up to a five bar gate to look at the birds. All the birds flew away, so walked on to the next hide.
From here I could see one common tern, presumably the others had started their migration to the south.
A cormorant was standing with its wings out to dry.
Lots of lapwings, either flying or standing near the cormorant.
A kingfisher flew across the water and out of sight.
As I walked back towards the car park, I went in the first hide.
A carrion crow was perched on a post.
It was nice to see the swan family with six large cygnets.
I decided to go to Nosterfield reserve as it was only a short distance away.
I walked from the car park towards Lingham lagoon and on the way, stopped to look at a young little owl. 


A very pleasant morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment